Chris Froome health update as family release statement after surgery | Other | Sport


Chris Froome is said to be in “good spirits” after undergoing emergency surgery following a serious crash on Wednesday. The four-time Tour de France winner was airlifted to hospital after sustaining five broken ribs, a collapsed lung and a lumbar vertebrae fracture while training in the south of France.

The Brit is considered one of the best cyclists of his generation, having also won the Vuelta Espana twice and triumphed at the Giro d’Italia on one occasion. What’s more, Froome has also won two Olympic medals, picking up bronze in the men’s time trial at the London 2012 and Rio 2016 Games.

A statement from his team, Israel-Premier Tech, read: “We can confirm that Chris has successfully undergone surgery following his recent injuries. The procedures went as planned, and Chris is currently recovering in hospital under the care of his medical team.

“He is in good spirits and grateful for the excellent medical support he has received. Chris and his family would like to thank fans, friends, and the cycling community for their concern and kind messages during this time.”

It comes following the initial update posted to Froome’s X account on Thursday afternoon. The statement said: “Chris was airlifted to hospital in Toulon yesterday following a serious training crash (no other cyclists or vehicles were involved).

“Fortunately Chris is stable and did not sustain any head injuries, however, scans have confirmed a pneumothorax, five broken ribs and a lumbar vertebrae fracture, for which he will undergo surgery this afternoon. We will update on Chris’ condition following surgery.”

Israel-Premier Tech themselves wrote on X: “Please join us in wishing [Chris Froome] well and a speedy recovery”. Giro d’Italia tweeted: “[W]ishing you a speedy recovery Champion”.

Former team INEOS Grenadiers posted on the same platform: “Wishing [Chris Froome] a speedy recovery after his training accident yesterday. We’re all behind you, Froomey”.

Froome had mooted that 2025 could be his last year in professional cycling, having already broken his collarbone earlier this year. He was previously hospitalised after suffering a fractured neck, elbow, femur, hip and ribs from a training crash in 2019 – an incident that left him under medical supervision for three weeks.



Source link