Six Nations protest threat for England match as coach confirms setback | Rugby | Sport

England are set to face Ireland at Twickenham this weekend (Image: Getty)
Here are your latest rugby headlines for Wednesday, February 18…
Threat of Six Nations protest emerges
English rugby officials are keeping a close eye on the potential for protests against sponsor Allianz at this weekend’s Six Nations match between England and Ireland at Twickenham.
The insurance behemoth began a decade-long deal with the Rugby Football Union for the naming rights to Twickenham in 2024, and also has partnerships with the Olympics and Paralympics, as well as Bayern Munich football club.
Allianz also sponsors the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), a partnership that has caused controversy in Ireland due to the company’s alleged connections to military firms trading with Israel. Several Irish county boards have urged the GAA to sever ties with the German firm amidst these allegations.
Now, with Ireland set to play at Twickenham for the first time since the Allianz naming deal came into effect, the possibility of protests taking place at the game has arisen, with City AM reporting that the RFU will “closely monitor events” in the run-up to Saturday’s clash.
The publication also reports that the union has “procedures in place” should any disturbances occur before, during or after the match. It follows England’s Six Nations fixture with Italy last year, which saw a drone descended into the stadium by Palestine Action.
The 2023 Prem Rugby final was also disrupted by protestors from Just Stop Oil, who ran onto the pitch at Twickenham and scattered orange powder across the surface.

England rugby officials are keeping a close eye on a potential protest (Image: Getty)
Scotland coach confirms triple blow
Pete Horne has revealed that Jamie Ritchie, Jamie Dobie and Jack Dempsey are unlikely to feature again in Scotland’s Guinness Six Nations campaign after departing the squad through injuries ahead of Saturday’s encounter with Wales in Cardiff.
The crucial trio started Saturday’s 31-20 Calcutta Cup victory over England at Murrayfield but were all substituted before full-time.
Perpignan flanker Ritchie picked up a knee injury, Glasgow number eight Dempsey departed with a bicep problem and Glasgow back Dobie suffered shoulder damage.
Following the three players’ return to their clubs for assessment, assistant coach Horne – speaking from Scotland’s warm-weather training camp at Oliva Nova, near Valencia – said on Tuesday it appears likely that their participation in this year’s championship has concluded.
“It’s looking that way, which is unfortunate,” he said. “If there is an outside chance of them getting back involved, then great, they’ll link back up with us in the last week or so, but I can’t see it, to be honest.
“It’s a brutal game, Test match rugby. It’s so physical now, the collisions, the size of these boys, the physicality that’s involved. I think Demo (Dempsey) actually summed it up really well in the first week.
“He was talking about how everyone around the table has got to be ready to go at a moment’s notice because there’s going to be injuries, and it’s Sod’s Law that (he) was one of them. It’s devastating to lose them, three guys in top form. They were outstanding at the weekend and have been a big part of the group, both on and off the field.”
Scotland are unlikely to bring in any fresh faces to cover the losses of Dempsey, Ritchie and Dobie.
EXPRESS SPORT ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page

Scotland beat England 31-20 on Saturday (Image: Getty)
“No, we’re fairly happy with the group that we’ve got,” he said. “Thankfully, we have got a little bit more depth in the squad now than some of the years gone by.”
The loss of versatile back Dobie, who featured in the opening two fixtures on the wing, could open the door for Blair Kinghorn to make his return in Cardiff. The British and Irish Lions star was surprisingly left out of the matchday squad for the Italy and England encounters, and headed back to France at the weekend to feature for Toulouse in their Top 14 triumph over Stade Francais.
“Blair arrived back with the squad yesterday, so he trained today with us,” said Horne. “Blair’s a supremely talented player. The competition’s obviously been really high in that (back-three) area. The three guys that have played (Dobie, Kyle Steyn and Tom Jordan), they got the opportunity against Italy and we felt like they went well in that game.
“Against England they obviously performed really well again. There will be an opportunity for someone with Jamie dropping out so there will be a bit of a shuffle in the back three somewhere.
“We’ll just assess how training goes tomorrow and make a call. But Blair’s in good spirits, he’s trained really well the last couple of weeks. He knows that if it is him that gets the nod this week, he’s got to be ready to go and perform.”
Osborne: We’re building something good
Ireland full-back Jamie Osborne is looking forward to getting “stuck into” England as both teams fight to stay in contention for Guinness Six Nations honours.
The 24 year old crossed for the opening try in Saturday’s hard-fought 20-13 victory over Italy, helping Andy Farrell’s side recover from a comprehensive opening-round loss away to defending champions France.
England were considered the biggest challengers to Les Bleus’ title defence before suffering a Calcutta Cup shock against Scotland, having previously secured a comfortable victory over Wales. Osborne, stepping in for the injured Hugo Keenan in the number 15 shirt, is set to make his third consecutive Test start on Saturday at Twickenham, following a three-month hiatus due to a shoulder problem.
“It’s hugely exciting – I think any sport, Ireland versus England is a proper game,” he expressed. “England at Twickenham, you’ve seen how good they’ve been recently at home.
“They’re a team with very high confidence and we’re probably a team that is starting to build now, so we’re coming into it a little bit differently. But I can’t wait to get stuck into them if I am selected. I think we’re building something good here.”
England had secured 12 straight victories since their 27-22 defeat in Dublin on the opening weekend of last year’s Six Nations, before suffering a 31-20 loss at Murrayfield.
Steve Borthwick’s squad, who are set to face unbeaten title favourites France in round five, continue to enjoy a nine-match winning streak at home.
Osborne feels Ireland can draw inspiration from their narrow win over Italy, after head coach Farrell criticised his players for lacking intent during the tournament opener in Paris.
“Andy alluded to the intent factor last week and how it wasn’t really there, and it wasn’t perfect (against Italy),” Osborne explained, who sustained his shoulder injury in Ireland’s November victory over Japan before returning to action at Stade de France.
“But I think we brought a lot more intent. We had some very nice passages of play and it might have been a wide breakdown or the last pass that we’d come undone by.
“I thought it was a lot more positive anyway. There’s a lot to work on but I think we can be pleased with the intent part of the game.
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings.


