British tourist, 22, seriously injured after plunging three storeys from Ibiza balcony | World | News
A 22-year-old British tourist has been seriously injured in Spain after plunging from the third floor of his hotel in the Ibiza party resort of San Antonio. In a repeat of a wave of hotel falls this summer, which has left two Brits dead, the holidaymaker suffered chest and head injuries and was rushed to hospital in the island capital.
The incident happened around 8pm yesterday, at the Marco Polo hotel in San Antonio, which made headlines in June after it was at the centre of a poolside brawl involving English footballer Kian Harratt. The plunge victim, who has not been named, was taken to Can Misses Hospital, according to police. The Civil Guard has launched an investigation into the circumstances.
A spokesman said today: “A 22-year-old British tourist was rushed to hospital after falling from the third floor of a hotel in San Antonio. He was conscious when he was taken away.”
San Antonio has come under the spotlight this summer following a number of tourist deaths in hotel plunges.
Dundee-born ice hockey star Gary Kelly, 19, became the fourth holidaymaker to die at four-star Ibiza Rocks Hotel since April 27 when he fell from a third-floor balcony on July 21 in an incident which the Civil Guard has described as an accident.
On July 7, Ewan Thomson, 26, from Aberdeen, fell to his death at the same hotel, with his sister Teila claiming afterwards: “Once it did happen, the hotel’s response was just completely heartbreaking; almost as if it never happened.”
A 19-year-old Italian tourist of Turkish origin plunged to her death on April 27 from a fourth-floor balcony at the hotel, owned by the Ibiza Rocks Group, which is led by the British founders of the island super club Manumission. Last week, a holidaymaker was left fighting for his life after being run over in the resort.
The 31-year-old was taken to an intensive care hospital unit with a traumatic brain injury and chest and shoulder injuries.
And at the end of July, a British holidaymaker was rushed to a hospital intensive care unit with skull and spinal injuries after smashing his head on the bottom of his Ibiza hotel pool.
The 23-year-old was said to be“very serious” after undergoing an emergency op following the July 29 drama, although there have been no updates on his condition.
Two clips from the poolside brawl at the Marco Polo Hotel earlier this year showed chair-shaped objects flying through the air and flooring a middle-aged woman, although hotel chiefs went on to claim no chairs had been thrown.
Tension flared between two groups at the hotel before footage emerged showing a young Brit, later identified as Oldham Athletic striker Kian Harratt, lobbing a stool towards another guest but hitting a lady instead.
The EFL frontman broke his silence afterwards to admit he felt “terrible” and “very apologetic” but levelled the blame at a poolside bully.
That man – burly Brandon Watkins, 31 – hit back at Kian, claiming the footballer had provoked his friends and insisting: “I’m not a bully.”