Liverpool ‘to make huge new Alexander Isak bid’ after transfer breakthrough | Football | Sport
Liverpool are expected to return to Newcastle United with a fresh offer for Alexander Isak before Monday’s transfer deadline. The Merseyside outfit have been chasing Isak’s signature all summer, with Liverpool having already seen one bid rejected.
The reigning champions saw a bid of £120million turned down by Newcastle earlier this summer, sparking a transfer stand-off between Isak and his current employers. Isak accused Newcastle of “breaking promises”, while Newcastle claimed he couldn’t leave because their conditions haven’t yet been met.
It’s now reported by The Telegraph that Liverpool are plotting a £130million offer for the striker, who hasn’t featured for Newcastle since the end of last season. Such a fee would break the Premier League’s transfer record, as well as marking the second time this summer Liverpool have breached the £100m barrier for a signing.
When quizzed about his side’s potential transfer business between now and deadline day, Arne Slot said: “After Monday night, I said that again I could make a sub that impacted the game. Federico (Chiesa) and Rio (Ngumoha), as always we try to sign players that can help us but there’s no reason to complain after first two games but if we can strengthen then we always try to do that for the right player and right player. Let’s see if we do something what we can do.”
He continued: “As always, we will try to sign players that can help us. If it’s for the right money, and if it’s the right player, we will strike. There is four days left, let’s see if we do something.”
Eddie Howe was also asked about the Isak saga, replying: “You can’t be oblivious to things that have happened. You’ve got to look at all the information. I have a footballing preference but then you have to take everything else into account, you can’t just be oblivious to things that have happened.”
Liverpool are also being linked with a move for Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi, whose contract at Selhurst Park is set to expire at the end of the season. It’s claimed Palace are holding out for £40m, with further talks expected to follow between the two clubs later this week.
Back on the pitch, the Reds will aim to keep their 100 per cent record alive when they welcome Arsenal to Anfield on Sunday. It comes after a dramatic 97th-minute winner against Newcastle during Monday night’s epic at St. James’ Park.