Tyson Fury’s cousin apologises after referee abruptly ends fight | Boxing | Sport
Hughie Fury apologised in the aftermath of his fight against Michael Webster on Saturday evening after it came to an abrupt halt due to a technical stoppage. Webster indicated to the referee that he was unable to continue, bringing the contest to a premature close in the opening round of what was due to be an eight-round encounter.
The stoppage came moments after a thrilling first minute in Rotterdam, during which both boxers exchanged blows before Fury began to gain the upper hand over Webster. An injury ultimately forced an early end to proceedings, with Fury declared the victor by having his left arm raised by the referee between him and Webster in the middle of the ring.
Speaking in the ring afterwards, Fury expressed regret to spectators for the abbreviated spectacle. The victory marked an eighth straight win since suffering defeat to Alexander Povetkin in their battle for the vacant WBA International title in 2019.
Following that setback, he secured victories against Christian Hammer, Mariusz Wach and Pavel Sour, in three successive outings. Yet he then endured a lengthy absence from the sport spanning two-and-a-half years.
That extended absence included pulling out of a scheduled clash with Michael Hunter in 2022 following medical advice. During his time out of the ring, Fury battled numerous health complications, including acne conglobata, coeliac disease and long Covid.
The ex-British champion made his comeback in April 2024 – and has competed six times over the past 18 months. Despite eight years passing since his challenge for Joseph Parker’s WBO crown, Fury maintains ambitions of competing for world championship honours once more.
Speaking earlier this year, he said: “I’ve been constantly in the gym, and I’m coming for all these so-called top heavyweights soon. They can’t avoid me much longer, and I’m going to spoil their day in the sun. I’m going to be busy this year, and whoever wants it can have it. Call my team – I will be there!”
He has stepped into the ring twice this year, also claiming victory over Dan Garber at York Hall in April. Fury had three outings last year, taking on Christian Thun, Patrick Korte and Kostiantyn Dovbyshchenko within six months. However, none of those opponents are considered a top-tier heavyweight.
Despite this, Fury is confident that high-profile bouts will be on his horizon in 2026. He said last month: “I’m coming back with a bang. I’m in good spirits. Hopefully, get out this year and then big fights next year.”
Fury also expressed his belief that he could defeat Oleksandr Usyk. That would serve as familial retribution for the two losses his first cousin, Tyson Fury, suffered at the hands of the former undisputed champion.


