23 people feared trapped as nine-storey building collapses in Philippines | World | News
More than 20 people are feared to be trapped under the rubble after a multi-storey building under construction in the Philippines collapsed on Sunday, officials said, as rescue efforts continued. Five people were confirmed trapped, including two in contact with rescuers, and 18 more were feared under the rubble, officials said.
Maria Leah Sajili, information officer at the regional Bureau of Fire Protection, told a press briefing: “We have five confirmed trapped victims, and we have a figure of 18 workers from the list of construction workers on duty today, but no feedback yet from their families. This brings the estimated number of trapped victims to 23 as of today”.
At the site of the collapsed multi-storey building under construction in the city of Angeles, north of the capital Manila, rescuers were seen clambering over a mound of concrete slabs and mangled steel, covered in green netting, searching for survivors.
Public Works Secretary Vinzon Dizon told reporters near the rubble of concrete slabs, twisted iron bars and other debris, that there were “some signs of life”.
Explaining rescuers were moving with caution, he added: “There are voices that are being heard. Itβs a very very unstable site and the priority is to get the people out.β
The number of rescued remained at 24, with no deaths reported, Ms Sajili said.
Among the rescued was a 51-year-old Malaysian national who was staying in a nearby budget hotel, which was damaged when the concrete structure collapsed, Jay Pelayo, the Angeles city information officer, told Reuters in a phone interview.
Ambulances were on standby, and fire trucks had been deployed to assist in the rescue, Mr Pelayo said, adding that moving the concrete debris was a challenge for rescuers.
Officials said the cause of the collapse is under investigation.
Angeles City hosted one of the largest US Air Force bases outside of the American mainland until it closed in the early 1990s.


