Inside Ivan Toney’s shock England return and huge Cristiano Ronaldo row | Football | Sport

Ivan Toney joined Cristiano Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia. (Image: Getty Images)
Ivan Toney’s extraordinary goalscoring exploits this season are set to secure him a spot in Thomas Tuchel’s England squad for the World Cup. The Three Lions manager announces his 26-man squad for the tournament on Friday, with his attacking selections in particular proving the subject of fierce debate.
The Al-Ahli forward has netted a staggering 42 goals in 48 appearances this campaign, including 32 in the league. A clinical finisher and exceptionally dependable from 12 yards, the 30-year-old could prove a valuable asset in Tuchel’s squad. Spearheaded by his outstanding scoring form, Al-Ahli secured their second successive AFC Champions League Elite crown after defeating Japanese outfit Machida Zelvia in last month’s final.
In January 2026, Toney delivered a masterclass in a crucial fixture against Al-Khaleej. With Al-Ahli requiring victory to move into second place, the forward tore the match apart by netting a remarkable 18-minute hat-trick in the second half.
However, his fierce on-field battle to secure this season’s Golden Boot erupted in March. Al-Ahli endured a devastating 3-2 loss to Brendan Rodgers’ Al-Qadsiah. Toney struck a composed opener to register his 25th goal of the campaign, but tensions exploded at the final whistle.
Toney became embroiled in a heated physical confrontation and post-match altercation with Al-Qadsiah’s star forward Julián Quiñones, who sits just behind him in the scoring rankings. The pair had to be pulled apart by teammates before matters escalated further.
EXPRESS SPORT ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page
Then, just weeks ago, Toney found his rhythm once more as he bagged another stunning hat-trick in a 3-1 triumph over Al-Fateh, claiming top spot in the league’s scoring charts.
A key factor behind Toney’s extraordinary tally has been his on-field partnership with Riyad Mahrez and Galeno. He has profited enormously from the former Manchester City star’s exceptional delivery and creativity, turning Al-Ahli into one of the most dangerous attacking sides in the division.
Toney didn’t hesitate to highlight what he perceived as refereeing injustices in Al-Ahli’s 1-1 draw with Al-Fayha last month. His team surrendered two vital points in their title race with Cristiano Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr.
The 30-year-old took to Instagram to criticise several penalty appeals dismissed during the match, with numerous supporters online suggesting Toney’s remarks indicate Al-Nassr are being deliberately favoured by match officials.

Ivan Toney is returning to the England fold. (Image: PA)
He wrote: “Two of these actions went to VAR and one didn’t. It’s actually crazy how you can miss things like this in crucial moments or choose to turn a blind eye. And without saying too much that may get me in trouble, it’s clear what’s being influenced here!!!
“Also with the referee telling us to concentrate on a different competition whilst VAR is going on is beyond me. And to add with the referee agreeing that the first one was a penalty in the 90+ minute like that’s going to help. But listen I guess I’m probably the bad guy for speaking some truths and pointing out questionable decisions or sh*t refereeing.”
During his post-match interview, an incensed Toney said: “I don’t know if the referee turned off his microphone before he said what he told me: ‘Focus on the Asian Champions League.’ This is why we need the audio recordings to be released, so the fans can see the truth.”
WORLD CUP LEGENDS: The stars who lit up football’s greatest tournament – Buy the Special Edition today
Tuchel is poised to name three strikers in his England World Cup squad, as Toney is set for a remarkable return to the England fold. The forward hasn’t represented England since appearing in last year’s friendly encounter against Senegal.
Harry Kane remains the nation’s captain and first-choice striker, yet with two places still up for grabs in Tuchel’s attacking line, the door was very much open for Toney. He will be joined by Ollie Watkins.
Tuchel is no stranger to Toney’s qualities, having called the striker up to the England squad last year for friendlies against Andorra and Senegal. It marked the last occasion the forward linked up with the national side, with the German coach acknowledging at the time that his performances at Al-Ahli were a significant factor behind his selection.
The England manager said: “He deserves to be with us and I am convinced because he scored over 20 goals for his team this season. He won a major title with the Asian Champions League, he had a big contribution with goals and assists.
“I said last time [in March] that I would try to put a visit in my schedule [to Saudi Arabia] which I didn’t make, so I thought bring him [Toney] over and let him travel with us.”


