Liverpool news: FSG told to sack Arne Slot as Mohamed Salah ‘performs U-turn’ | Football | Sport

Here are the latest Liverpool headlines ahead of the final weekend (Image: Liverpool FC/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
Liverpool have almost secured their place in next season’s Champions League after Manchester City dropped points against Bournemouth on Tuesday evening. Their draw with the Cherries means the Reds must simply avoid defeat to Brentford at Anfield on Sunday to guarantee a top-five Premier League finish. Even should Liverpool fall to defeat, Bournemouth would need to overturn a six-goal swing to leapfrog the Reds.
Short of a minor miracle, it seems the embattled Arne Slot has found some respite at the conclusion of the club’s near-disastrous campaign. Tuesday night carried further significance for the Reds as City’s draw simultaneously confirmed Arsenal as champions, marking the north London club’s first title in 22 years. The reality is that Liverpool squandered the title they fought so hard for last season to the Gunners some months ago. Mikel Arteta‘s triumph will undoubtedly heap further pressure on Slot.
Here’s a round-up of the latest Anfield headlines as we approach the final weekend of the Premier League season…
Liverpool must part ways with Slot at the end of the season, according to former Reds winger Jermaine Pennant.
Last week’s 4-2 defeat to Aston Villa means the Reds have lost 20 games across all competitions this season and Pennant believes a change is urgently required.
He said: “If the board thinks that this is the guy to stay in charge, then something’s wrong with the board.
“Everyone can see this Liverpool team, see that they broke almost every single record which is not good – the most goals conceded, the most losses ever in a campaign, you name it. The stats are shocking.”
Pennant went as far as to back Salah, who took aim at Liverpool’s recent shortcomings in a social media post last weekend.
The former Arsenal star also argued that Liverpool cannot justify yet another summer of extravagant expenditure under the Dutchman.
“What he’s saying [Salah] is stating the obvious. And if the board ultimately think that next season is going to be any different… I’m just shocked, because personally, I don’t see how [things will change],” Pennant added.
“Are they going to spend another £450million, half a billion to bring in some more players? It’s down to philosophy the way Liverpool play, how to play. They’re playing like a mid-table team – they just sit back, they wait for teams to come onto them.
“There’s no threat going forward, they’re not aggressive. So you’ve built a great machine and then all of a sudden you change these same cogs in that machine and expect to get the right output. It’s just not going to work.”

Mohamed Salah is set to leave Liverpool at the end of the season (Image: Getty Images)
According to reports, Salah has given the green light to join Turkish giants Fenerbahce. The Reds forward sent shockwaves through the footballing world in April when he announced his departure from Anfield after nine trophy-laden years.
It had been widely anticipated that the winger would finally make the much-expected switch to the Saudi Pro League this summer, but if accurate, the claims would indicate he has performed something of a U-turn regarding his future.
The Turkish club have reportedly tabled an “informal offer” to Salah of around £11m a year to keep the Egyptian icon on European soil.
It’s claimed that Salah has not “entirely ruled out” a move to Saudi Arabia, but he is targeting an ambitious project “at the highest level”.
The reports echo Reds legend Jamie Carragher’s assessment earlier this season, when he predicted Salah would snub Saudi Arabia in favour of remaining in Europe.
Speaking on Sky Sports, he said: “I think Mo Salah, the way he’s driven like a Ronaldo, I don’t see the Saudi thing just yet.
“I just think your career’s over when you go there [Saudi Arabia]. I think he’ll still be looking at his Champions League record or how many goals he can get.
“I still think he thinks, ‘I’m still one of the best players, and me leaving now is not the end of my top-level career, I’ve still got something to give’.”
EXPRESS SPORT ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page.


