Man Utd decide on Sandro Tonali transfer as Newcastle star’s stance on move clear | Football | Sport

Man United could be in the battle to sign Sandro Tonali (Image: Getty)
Manchester United have reportedly made Sandro Tonali their priority, rather than Newcastle United midfielder, to become the new permanent head coach following an impressive temporary stint at Old Trafford. According to Gianluca Di Marzio, United have chosen to focus their attention on the Newcastle United midfielder, irrespective of Ederson, as the new boss turns to the Italian to kickstart the midfield overhaul.
The outlet has suggested that the Magpies have a gentleman’s agreement with the midfielder that should they fail to secure Champions League qualification, he would be permitted to depart. From a transfer perspective, the 26-year-old is understood to be available from €100million (£86m) with Eddie Howe’s side confronting the possibility of a bottom-half finish. Heading into the final fixture of the season on Sunday, Newcastle sit 10 points adrift of the Champions League spots but just three points shy of the final European place, though they possess an inferior goal difference to Chelsea.
This has prompted renewed speculation regarding Tonali’s future, who has been linked with interest from newly-crowned champions, Arsenal. The Italian outlet has indicated that United have turned their attention towards the Premier League-proven midfielder, while maintaining an interest in Atalanta’s Ederson, though Tonali is a player Carrick particularly desires.
Di Marzio has reported that there is a “good chance” a transfer will materialise, although it remains unclear whether the fee will reach €100million or settle at around €80m (£69m) plus add-ons. Tonali has been the subject of speculation regarding his future, particularly when the Gunners were understood to be considering a bid during the January transfer window.
Eddie Howe was compelled to address the matter in February, reasserting the 26-year-old’s dedication at St James’ Park. He said: “His only focus was on Manchester City and trying to win that game so there’s absolutely no issue with Sandro himself.
“He’s very happy and committed so I find it difficult to talk about things I don’t know too much about. I can only talk about Sandro as the person and player, and his mindset here and now. Having discussed things with him yesterday, he’s absolutely fine.”

Sandro Tonali could be a player in demand this summer. (Image: Getty)
The Magpies head coach has previously addressed the possibility of summer transfer business within the Toon ranks. He said last month: “I think from my perspective, we’ve recruited players here since I’ve been here in the same way. So, although we’ve had different sporting directors, the processes haven’t changed.
“When we recruit a player, what’s fundamentally important is that me and the coaching team like that player and can see a way that we can get the very best out of him in our team. Signing a player that doesn’t fit that criteria, I think, is unhealthy.
“And the club have been really good in helping me sort of mould the squad as I want to. So I think I always say judge me by every signing that we’ve made since I’ve been here, not just by one or two that people want to sort of beat me with a stick with. Across the board, I think we’ve recruited really well. Of course, there will be question marks on certain players.
“I understand that comes with the territory. But I’m really proud of our recruitment. There’s got a lot of work that’s gone into it. But all the players that we’ve signed, whether it’s abroad or domestic based, have been chased and endorsed by myself.”


